- Monthly contributor to column Homo sapiens Curtea de la Arges, periodical reporting on culture and science, edited by Gheorge Paun. Since 2016.
- Editor, 3 volumes in the Cognitive Sciences Monographs series (Springer Publishers): Anticipation – Learning from the past. Early Soviet/Russian contributions to a science of anticipation (Volume I); Anticipation: the Interdisciplinary Perspective (Volume II); Anticipation and Medicine (Volume III)
- Ad hoc Committee to develop a design program for ATEC graduate students.
- Organizer, three international conferences at Hanse Institute for Advanced Study/Hanse Wissenschaftskolleg (Germany):
- Anticipation and Medicine. September 28-30, 2015
- Anticipation: the interdisciplinary perspective. Anticipation applied to information technology, neural networks, education, politics, biological systems, engineering. September 22-24, 2014.
- Anticipation – Learning from the past. Early Soviet/Russian contributions to a science of anticipation. September 1-3, 2014.
- Founder and director, International Study Group in Anticipation Across Disciplines, Hanse Institute for Advanced Study/Hanse Wissenschaftskolleg, Delmenhorst, Germany.
- Visiting scholar, BISC (Berkeley Initiative for Soft Computing), Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California- Berkeley, 2002.
- Distinguished Visiting Professor, Computer Science, and Visiting Scholar, Center for the Study of Language and Information, Stanford University, 1999.
- Co-founder of @computational design, a company based on knowledge and technology transfer from the program in Computational Design of the University of Wuppertal, 1997.
- Professor (tenured), Chair of Computational Design, University of Wuppertal, Germany, 1994 to present. Courses in visualization, multimedia, intelligent CAD, ubiquitous computing, virtual reality, World-Wide Web.
- Principal, MINDesign. Research and consulting for education and business (new technologies and their creative applications), 1986 to present.
- Dean, School of Art and Design, Fashion Institute of Technology, New York City,
- Eminent Scholar in Art & Design Technology, Ohio State University, 1985-1988.
Advanced applications in multimedia digital technology, visualization.
- Professor, Rhode Island School of Design, 1980-1985.
Taught semiotics, design, communication, computer graphics, artificial intelligence, aesthetics.
- William A. Kern Institute Professor in Communication, Rochester Institute of Technology,
1983-1984.Taught semiotics of art, computer-aided human activity.
- Director, Institute for Visual Communication and Semiotics, Providence RI, 1981-1985.
- Adjunct professor, Center for Research in Semiotics, Brown University, 1981-1985.
- Visiting professor, University of Essen, 1979-1980. Taught semiotics, design, aesthetics.
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Grant, Ludwig Maximilian University, Seminar für Philosophie, Logik, und Wissenschaftstheorie, Munich, 1978-1980. Research, and teaching in semiotics, aesthetics, axiology.
- Lecturer, summer courses at Centro Internazionale di Semiotica e di Linguistica, Urbino, Italy, 1978.
- Visiting professor, Carolo-Wilhelmina University, Braunschweig, Germany, 1977-1978. Courses in aesthetics and semiotics.
- Nomination as senior philosopher, Institute of Philosophy, University of Bucharest, Romania, 1976.
- Professor of philosophy, University of Brasov, Romania, 1969-1975.
Posted in Uncategorized